Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chapter 5 Of Microbes and Men

Post your comments for Chapter 5 here.

10 comments:

  1. I am extremely eager to write about this chapter.

    When I read this chapter I was sick with a cold & it was such an awful feeling. I hated the fact that I had such urge to sneeze but was not able to, and the author explained to me why.

    “Sneezes occur when the body’s self defense system senses a foreign invader trying to get in through your nasal passages and acts to help the invasion by expelling it with a sneeze.” I stated that it was such a frustrating feeling not to be able to sneeze, well this is a whole different thing” When you’re not able to sneeze but you are still sick it’s because the “cold virus has learned to trigger the sneezing reflex so it can find new places to live.”(:

    I am glad I’m not sick anymore & I’m able to write about such awful experience.

    It is also wonderful how humanity has evolved over the past decades. Today we’re able to cope with our environment and the changes within Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kind of amazed by this chapter, but at the same time i was severly grossed out.

    The amazing part was: the species of bugs and insects that are able to manipulate its prey to benefit them. For example the spider Thane of Cawdor and the wasp Lady Macbeth.

    The gorss part was the parasitic worm called Dracunculus Medinensis. True it manipulates the humans( its prey), but what it does to get us to fall for its mind games is absolutely gross! I personally thank former president Jimmy Carter for spreading understanding about the nasty little bugger.

    I show sympathy for all the poor mice who get Toxoplasma Gondii. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Sonia's and Imani's post,

    Sonia I hope you are feeling better from your sickness. I see you couldn't sneeze even thought you wanted to. Well, when ever you are trying to sneeze and can't, just look at the light or something really bright. Once you do that, the sneeze will come out. Well I hope it does at least. Unfortunately, this only works in 25% of the people. Bur, hay you might me in that 25%. The more scientific explanation about this is--> "The sneeze is caused by overstimulation of the optic nerve when you look at a bright light. Then the optic nerve triggers the trigeminal nerve and his causes a sneeze reflex." Which makes scene. Anyways, yes the author did a really good job explaining how the whole sneezing process work, it was extremely interesting to read about.

    Imani, yes it is interesting how far insects are willing to go for survival. same thing really goes for any other living organism. Haha, 'the gross part." Well so much for the laugh, I feel sorry for the people who have fallen in victim to the Dracunculus Medinensis. They really are, "nasty little bugger." I personally wound this chapter interesting and it kinda made me feel sorry for the people who fall victim to organism like Dracunculus Medinensis.

    * For more information about how light trigger sneeze please don't hesitate to visit the following website - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

    -- Hamza Shah

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!! after i read the word worm and saw that it was inside of you nothing could distract me form reading the rest of this chapter.

    Sonia, i dont know how you got sick because to me it was the most intresting thing in this book so far. I mean how could you not be intrested in how worms live in your body and the only way to get them out is by wrapping around a stick and pulling it out, And if the worm breaks it could lead to even worse symptoms or even death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg! WOWERSSSSS! =/////

    PARASITES!
    GUINEA WORMS!
    PAINFUL BLISTERS!
    WORM!
    LARVAE!
    GROSSSSSS!

    wow! just if someone who has a worm and if the worm is being hurried and happens to break someway or another, the infected person can experience an even more painful and serious reaction, or even DEATH! that completely threw me off! it really blew me away. dang. i mean i was informed about worms and whatnot but i wasn't aware that if something goes wrong while its coming out you have a chance of not living. shocker! its amazing how its like manipulation. All the worm wants to do is cause harm. Just for the hell of it or what? The worm makes you want to get in cool water, helping it to spread, but what sucks is that you don't even know what your doing! the worm knows exactly whats going on. its a manipulator.. Now that is amazing.

    its kind of cool, how like each parasite has their way of getting around. i suppose. I mean like, they all have exactly what they need, to do exactly what they want to do. For example, pinworms. They just happen to be sticky and it just so happens if you scratch the infected area or whatever. you can grab hold of eggs without knowing and pass them on. that is pretty interesting.

    && i found it interesting how herpes can actually increase sexual activity. && sometimes people don't even know they are infected with herpes. So imagine not knowing you have herpes and your sexually active with different people. You can pass on the virus without even knowing. && then the people you pass it on to pass it on to whoever the are involved with and so on!


    this HOST MANIPULATION has been one of the most interesting things I've learned about in this book. This is deff my fav chapter so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think this chapter is amazing and has alot of facts.there are many facts about the insects.

    the fact about the worm called Dracunuculus medinensis also known as guinea worm. are very harmful for human because the worm gets into the body through skins and the only way we can take it out is warp the worm around the stick, and slowly pull it out and this treatments takes weeks to cure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I feel really mad right now... i just posted but my internet failed and my pc went out of battery...

    Well anyways in reponse to Hamza's post

    I hate being sick its also one of the worst things that happen to me just like to Sonia. When im sick and i can't sneeze it really gets me frustrated because my eyes start to water up and my nose is having a itchy feeling. Also i would like to tell you that i am not part of the 25% that when looking at light you sneeze. I really hope i was, however, when i look at the night my eyes just start to water up even more and i have this sleepy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I feel really mad right now... i just posted but my internet failed and my pc went out of battery...

    Well anyways in reponse to Hamza's post

    I hate being sick its also one of the worst things that happen to me just like to Sonia. When im sick and i can't sneeze it really gets me frustrated because my eyes start to water up and my nose is having a itchy feeling. Also i would like to tell you that i am not part of the 25% that when looking at light you sneeze. I really hope i was, however, when i look at the night my eyes just start to water up even more and i have this sleepy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this chapter was decent. OMG Guinea worms can grow to two to three feet long after a year of living in your body. they start making thier way to the skin and when they get there, female Guinea worms start to secrete acid to burn themselves an exit tunnel. The human would feel a painful burn, the burning make the human seek for relief in cooling water. when the worms feel that there is water around, they emit a milky fliud full of larvae to grow again. If the worm breaks during the processs the infected person can experience an even more painful and serious reaction, perhaps even death!

    Now I know why doctors recommend eating yogurt when taking antibiotics. the bacteria in yogurt are friendly and they can provide some of the digestive assistant and protection.

    Women who are infected with T.gondii spend more money on clothing and are rated as being more attractive than women without an infection.

    We normally sneeze to expell invasions from the outside through our nasal passages. After getting a cold the sneezing turns a way for the virus to spread, the virus makes you sneeze so you infect other people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. parasites that grow inside you then come out of your skin and trick you into putting water on the sores just so it can reproduce?!?!?! and i thought tics were nasty! this chapter really makes me cautious about the water i drink lol. i never knew taking antibiotics could hurt you and that yogurt could help you while taking them. women spending money on their looks and clothes might be infected with T. Gondii..... i know a lot of people who are infected then... cough* my mom couch* lol very gross chapter

    ReplyDelete