Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chapter 7 Methyl Madness Road to the Final Phenotype

Chapter 7 comments go here.

10 comments:

  1. In this chapter the author explains the fact that obesity is affecting many people in today’s society, and I strongly agree. Obesity also leads to more serious problems such as type II diabetes and this has become such a huge problem in America and around the world.

    I feel really bad when I see people with such problems. In a way I think it’s their fault, everyone should take care of themselves because if they don’t then who will. People have the responsibility to watch what they eat and this is why I think is their fault but then again they don’t have control over the way their metabolism works so I understand. A relative of mine is not overweight but she is not able to lose weight due to thyroid disease. This could be happening to many other individuals, but I just think that each individual should try to take care of themselves in order to prevent many diseases that revolve around our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to Sonia's post,

    I agree with the author, along with Sonia. Obesity is really affecting today's society, harshly. One could just say, oh Obesity....it's just getting fat....but, Obesity brings along many more sicknesses with itself. Many people who are victims of Obesity suffer from diabetes for example. YES!! I agree with Sonia when she said, Obesity is a huge problem in America. America is know as the county of fat. Funny if you ask me and, also a bit sad.... Sonia when you said, " I feel really bad when i see people with suck problems." I am with Sonia, when I see people with defects; I really start to feel bad. A good friend of mine went to a camp in which he helped people who suffered from things like obesity, thyroid disease, and muscle problems. I personally plan to go to the camp next summer, just to see that we shouldn't that anything for granted....But, really I know people who just don't care about their health, and when I see them, I say to myself, why should I even feel sorry for them...If one is not to care for themselves they don't deserve anyone's sorrow. If they can't take care of themselves, that's another story. Anyways I really learned quite much about Obesity in this chapter and how Metabolism work. (High Metabolism rules!!!!) Sorry. Interesting post Sonia.

    -- Hamza Shah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I allways new tht America was one of the fattest places in the world but thi is just terrible.

    i agrre with sonia, i do feel sorry for them to but its there fault. They should wach there weight and control the way they eat.I know America is like trying to make us all fat with all the vennie matchines and stuff but still. Its embarrising for America because evvery one else thinks were dumb and overwieght.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of you obesity is a big problem in America but we also can't blame kids that are obese straight away. The reason i feel this way is because family also kind of controls your weight like if your parents feed you meat everyday you cant really help gaining weight because you have to eat something so isn't it better to eat that food and be obese or eat like junk food everyday and be obese and have like medical problems?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to everyone's post so far.......

    I do not believe that if a person is obese that it is there fault. The reason that it is not their fault is because we have to remember that family also "helps" you gain weight. Like if your family feed you Meat everyday and junk food, and you don't have anything else to eat it's not really the person that have "obesity" fault. Also i found this chapter a little boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obesity is one of the biggest problems in this world. All thses people eating this junk food without thinking, what happened to our brains. Im nt saying dont eat McDonalds at all but dont eat it 5 or six days a week, people dont relize how much callories are in these types of food have and when they get home it is either video games or TV. This problem can lead to many other problems, diabetes, hight cholesterol, high blood pressure and high triglycerides.

    Sometimes its not people's fault, its their parents' or grandparents' for not being reponsible during pregnancy and that causes passing bad epigenetic effects to their kids. Kids can get asthma because their grandma used to smoke during pregnancy, these epigenetic effects transfer to the mother and from the mother to the baby. So a kid can have diabetes or obesity because of his/her grandma's diet when she was pregnant with his/her mom.

    One interesting fact in this chapter is that women get their set of eggs before they are even born.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obesity is a big problem in current days. It has become a threat to our lives. What I did not know is that other animals could also be obese. The yellow mouse experiment impressed me. It's awesome how the students of Duke University have opened doors for further research. Th most impressive part, in my opinion is how by giving the pregnet mouse a vitamin supplement that's given to pregnet women let to the discovery of brown mouses who did not carry the trait for yellow fur and were awfully skinny. Yet, narture and mature have a big impact on the offsprings of he mouses. Those who narture their offsprings, the offsprings tend to be more nervous and "carefuL"; neurotic. In contrast, those who were rejected by their mother seem to be more confident and more in control. This happenes in our lives as well. I believe if a kid has always depend on his/her parent(s) they are more naive of how the world is and have a more less sense/idea of self protection. For those who were rejected, or wereot as close to their mother, tend to have a mentality in which they are mor confident and in control of themselves, and only depend on themselves for protection/defenses.

    -Marlon Itzep

    ReplyDelete
  8. In response to everyone, I believe that a problem/disease such as obesity can be watched and avoided by eating healthy and creating healthy habits. For example, an individual who does not eat healthy or try ot stay in shape has a higher chance of being obese. Childhood obesity, however, is not the child's fault. Kids don't know what's healthy or not unless a parent or guardian shows them the right path. Parents have to waitch their children and not spoil them when it comes down to food. Adults however, should be able to watch their own weight- no exceptions.
    America is an obese country-unfortunately. Obesity can always lead to other problems and illnesses later on in life. Therefore, America should start eating healthier and excercising on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree with all of you. because obesity is a big problem in the world. some people eat junk food everyday and they get fat but i also think its thaeir problem they should have a control on themselves.for example i was watching news and they said that there was a fat man like he was 350 pounds and he was in his house since a month, so he couldn't get up and go outside and then the fire men came and took him out . ya ... and i think this chapter was kind of boring .

    ReplyDelete
  10. the chapter completely bored me out.
    but i do have to say that i agree with everyone that obesity is a huge problem.

    America has a lot of people who suffer from obesity.

    obesity is not just one problem since it can lead to things like diabetes.

    people don't really take into consideration all the effects obesity has in the modern world.

    But i do believe that obesity can be prevented by eating healthy and by taking a good amount of time and spending it on physical activity.

    I also wanna say that it is not the child's fault for being obese. obviously the kid was getting food from his home or from money that his parents or family members gave the, and spent in on food or shall i say "junk food." If the kid doesn't have anyone telling him to stop and allowing him to eat excessively. Of course he wont stop. -__-

    Just like Henry David Thoreau said "Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity" we humans need to make things simpler. We often take to much of what we NEED and it turn into what we WANT. -___-

    ReplyDelete