Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chapter 6 Jump into the gene pool

Comment on Chapter 6

10 comments:

  1. I was familiar with the fact that antibiotics use viruses to help an infection heal. This chapter introduced me to more exciting facts. Vaccines are made of harmless viruses and they are introduced to our bodies in order to stimulate our immune system, such process helps us produce antibodies specially created to defend against that virus then if we are exposed to the harmful version, our bodies are prepared to defend themselves immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other then the fact Jenner might be the creator for the first vaccine; he experimented on teenage boys….does that make him a hero or a selfish person. Even though he ended up being right but, what if he was wrong….what if he messed up….I guess this just tells us, taking chances can actually pay off. Anyways it is interesting how vaccines work. You are like training your body for the “real” thing. Very cool. I really liked how this chapter actually went into the biological stand point of things, especially when it talks about chromosomes, and DNA. It’s amazing, how a large amount of our DNA is made from viruses and bacteria’s. A lot of the information which was given in this chapter, I was fortunately familiar with so, it was even easier to understand, compared to the other chapters. The facts in this chapter and extremely interesting to read, for example, when the author tells the readers about how long a genetic could would be. 10 million light-years long!! If you think that is not big, tell me what is. But, in the end the author mentions a bit of viruses infecting us with the DNA….Sure I won’t say that’s false because, I can’t prove if it’s false. But, I sure won’t say it’s true until I come to a conclusion myself.

    Ever wonder where religion comes in play? I’m just saying….

    -- Hamza Shah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought i was crazy but Edward Jenner is just locooooo. Is amazing how he can purposly infect 4 teens with a diasese.

    Sonia, i i didn know that vaccines could do that much either. Im glad that we both learned something new by reading this chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to Joey's post

    I also thought that Edward Jenner is very disturbed person. I know he's like awesome and stuff but if he purposely infected those kids with the viruses then he must have been an horrible person, well I don't know even though his vaccines did end up being correct. Anyways, I don't think you should tests experiments on teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to joey's post-----------------------


    Wow your so right joey this guy is really crazy why would anyone want to infect 4 teens with an disease. That is just mean, y couldn't Edward Jenner have tested the disease out on himself. I don't belive he was a nice scientist even if he was able to find a vaccination for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Edward Jenner made the first vaccine, it sure was a start of something big, but the question is what was he thinking when he infected the teenage boys with the cowpox disease and he wasnt sure of what was going to happen? But anyways he was lucky enuogh.

    The thing is that cowpox and smallpox have similar structure, so he didnt just make a vaccine for cowpox only but for smallpox too.

    I was familiar with how vaccines work, they are a weak, harmless version of a virus and when introducting it to our bodies, our immune system produces antibodies for to fight that virus, so our immune system will be ready to fight against this virus in the future.

    "Junk DNA?!" this 97% of our DNA plays a big role in evolution.

    Genes have the capacity to produce many different protiens. There's a gene in a type of fruit fly that can produce almost 40,000 different protiens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What capture my attention te most were mutations. Though I kind of read awfully fast through the chapter, I found interesting how we have learned to work with some viruses. Also, how some bacteria is helpful for our bodies. Fo example, yo gurt has the good bacteria and it helps us digest foods better. I have take antibioics before and it never came in mind that I was actually, in a sense, swallowing bacteria :/.

    So I finally understand why when we have a cold, we stll able to o to work or school thought is uncomfortable. So basically, the virus of the cold does uses us to its benefits. When we sneeze, if we do not do it properly, people may get inffected with the virus. The flu has in sense, adapted or manipulated our mehanism of sneezing, used to not allow bad things go through our nose, to evolve or to prolong its xistence in this world. That's hy it allows us to get up from bed and walk so we could help them by inffec others. Unlike the flu, maleria actually makes us stay to bed so their best friends mosquitoes could sucks us up and carry the disese and transmittin the disease when they bite other people. That's why I've beacme intereed in working to control the population of mosquitoes by usg triops longicaudatus s a natural solution.

    -Marlon Itzep

    ReplyDelete
  8. this chapter was good.it had a lot of facts. it had alot of facts about the d.n.a.like how some d.n.a doesn't work for our it just work for themselves.i felt really bad when i read that Edward Jenner infected 4 teens with the disease.i was also amazed by the fact that you sepefic choromsomes contains instruction for whether or not you will have hairs on your finger, the insructions code for hairy fingers if the chorsomes come from your father, and hairless fingers if the choromsomes come from your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the purpose of vaccines are pretty simple- vaccines are harmless viruses and they are put into our bodies to help stimulate our immune system. Helping our immune system be ready to fight off harmful virses when we are exposed to them.

    but i never really gave much thought into who created the first vaccine and how it came to be

    && thats what got me in this chapter. i stil cannot believe this crazy guy who we call Edward Jenner((created the first vaccine)), would purposely infect 4 teens just to see if what he thought was right would work! i agree with Daniel he is disturbed. At least he ended up right and he created the first vaccine, but ultimately it was a crazy thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this chapter because i never new that vaccines were actually just some viruses that couldnt do damage to you just to exite your immune system that makes a better protection from the real dangerous viruses

    ReplyDelete