Diabetes has become such a huge problem in America and around the world. Today about 171 million individuals suffer from diabetes.
My aunt was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes about seven years ago, so I am pretty familiar with the topic. I am pretty sure that many more people are familiar with it as well so I won't give explanations or specifics about the differences between type I & type II. The chapter is interesting no doubt, there are many facts that I was not familiar with. Is impressive how the human body reacts to environmental danger to protect us, such as the cold that we experience during winter time. Our bodies have natural defenses that help us produce heat.
I was familiar with the fact that we were not able to freeze a human but I didn't know why until now. The reason why the human tissue does not react well to freezing is because the water in our blood freezes and the ice shards cut blood cells and cause capillaries to burst.
Another fun fact, Vodka does not freeze unless it's cool down to probably 20º Fahrenheit.
So far I am astonished by the chapters. Like I said in my previous comment the author gives such great detail.:))
This chapter had me on the edge of my seat and had me completely addicted.
My absolute favorite part was the section about the wood frogs. Honestly the fact that an animal has adpated and evovled itself to the point wehre it can freeze itself is amazing! Another thing i thought was amazing is the fact the frog freezes the same organs we have since some of our organs are similar. Just imagine all the possibilities avaible to us, as the human race if scientist could find a way we can do the same thing.
In response to Sonia's blog:
You are 100% correct when you state the author gives great detail. I'm sure you would agree if that detail wasn't given it would take alot to understand the book. I'm glad you pointed that out, because now I look for details and cotnext clues when I don't understand something. I usaully dont understand because I overlooked something, but now that you commented on that I make sure I seek out and understand the wonderful detailing.
Sonia in your post you said, "Vodka does not freeze unless it's cool down to probably 20º Fahrenheit." I didn't really get that, and had a question. I you were to freeze Vodka, wouldn't it go through 20F before freezing? So what do you mean by cooling it down? Anyways you also have to take in considering what kind of Vodka are you talking about....cheaper Vodka will freeze at a higher temperature then, the more expensive vodka. Just because, of the amounts of ethanol. Ethanol being the main compound in Vodka. But the real interesting question you should ponder is what temperature does 100% Ethanol freeze at.
Oh wow I didn’t know all carbohydrates are the source of sugar (glucose) for our bodies. Diabetes….I am sorry for the people who have it….OK…. “Diabetic urine tastes and smells sweet” Who in the world tasted someone’s urine. I’m sorry but that’s just gross, period. I had a question is it possible for a guy to get the third type of diabetes? After reading that only pregnant women can get it…I guess the answer to my question is answered, but still many things are possible when it comes to diseases, especially Diabetes. Another interesting thing I was thinking about is, in the novel it states a way to get diabetes is by lack of exercise, poor eating habits which results to obesity. What is a people does not exercise and has poor eating habits but, has a fast metabolism. Will the obese people and the person with a fast metabolism have the same chance to get diabetes? Interesting question to ponder about.. It’s also interesting how they figured out how often (about) Ice ages occur. The thing that fascinates me a lot is that our bodies are so weird….they change, they adapt to their surroundings which is weird and fascinating at the same time. If out bodies didn’t adapt different types of environments, I am sure the human race wouldn’t exist. Low temperatures caused the pressure in the human body to increase, didn’t know that, interesting. It’s funny how cold affects us, in so many ways. From reading all this I am sure cold and diabetes are related in some sense. I wonder I it is possible to evolve out of diabetes…. For some reason I found this chapter a bit misleading and random, a lot of talk about many different things leading to one things; it was a bit messy.
Please let me know if you find anything misleading.
This chapter is a huge discovery for me.The wood frog made me feel motivated in reading the chapter. Who would have thought that the wood frog are immune to freezing compared to us humans even though we have the same organs? The fact is it pools the water into the abdomen instead of urinating. It also dumps massive amount of glucose, lowering freezing points, making them immune to freezing by means of glucose.
Also,I've learned that grapes are also immune to freezing. They experience water loss due to freezing, increasing their sugar concentration(which is also the reason why the grapes taste abnormally sweet according to the story). Sugar made them immune like the bullfrog's glucose by lowering freezing points which is why they can withstand freezing.
This chapter was very entertaining. I learned a lot, i learned that wood frogs can not frozen however, an human can. Wood frog and humans have the same organs.Also learned that when you shiver, your body is preserving heat. Another reason why this chapter was interesting was because this chapter talks about diabetes and because my dad has diabetes to.
this chapter was also good. it told me about the diabetes. it also told me about that there are 2 types of diabetes 1juvenile and the 2for adults. it explained me alot about the diabetes.for example the diabetes donot let the excees of sugar out so the body acts like antifreeze in times of the extreme cold . so thats why the body get cooler when its cold especially to the diabetic people. and i also know the fact that why type1 diabetic people die soon. one of the amazing fact was that the wood frog freezes completely when its cold and recovers when its hot.
I really enjoyed reading this chapter. There are lots of amazing facts in it. There are two types of diabetes, juvenile diabetes and adult-onset diabetes. The first type diagnoses people by confusing thier defense system and making it attack and damage its own pancreas cells that are responsible for insulin reproduction. I knew that sometimes babies are born chubby for some reason but never knew that this happens because of a certain type of diabetes that diagnoses pregnant women.
I never thought that climate changes could happen so quickly, the last ice age happened in a decade! I wasnt familiar with the fact that human tissue doesnt react well to freezing because the ice shards, that are produced when the water in our blood freezes, cut blood cells and cause capillaries to burst.
O man it's unbelievable that a deadly desease like diabetes is the reason why most of us, if not all, are alive now. Its also imazing that grapes, wood frogs and humans do the same thing to survive coldness, lose water and have cocentrated amounts of sugar.
Aprox. 171 million people in this world have diabetes, and is expected to double. That's crazy. My mother always tells me not to eat so much junk food or drink sugary drinks like pop though I use to be pop(a)holic?. Anyways, she tells me that she's afraid of me having high cholesterol or diabetes and I did grew to be afraid. There's a few people that I know who have diabetes due to obesity and in some cases one of their legs was cut off. Before reading this chapter, my persception of sugar in our blood was bad. I use to think that preventing diabetes meant having no sugar in our system and I started to ponder the question on how it exactly affected our bodies. I was wrong though; the blood sugars known as glucose is essential to survival. It provides fuel for our brain as well as it manufacture proteins. Is the energy that we need to basically do pretty much evreything on daily basis. Moreover, it's amazing how everything links to pretty much everything; from what we eat to how or why we die and or how climate affects our health. I found very interesting how during the slavery period, owners of slaves did not fed their slaves, and due to the sugar in their system so teir bodies would "feed" or help their bodies to survive. What I found very interesting was the frog that freezes itself during winter but it doesn't releases all its water, yet stores some in the major organs to preserve them. I actually want to work with them and learn more rom it. It was an awesome chapter. I hope that there's more findings soon in the future so transplants may be less risky and more reliable.
This chapter was very interesting-yet at times a bit puzzling. I like how positive this book is about diseases and illnesses. Mostly about diabetes, Chapter two made me realize a lot of things. It's like a new window to the world. Even though as many as 171 million people have diabetes today, the disease had helped our ancestors live through ice ages. This chapter looks at the situation in a positive way and as crazy as it sounds, shows the readers why a disease such as diabetes is necessary for the survival of our kind.
The author is VERY detailed and knows how to really pull the reader in. I enjoyed this chapter- A Spoonful Of Sugar Helps The Temperature Go Down. Another thing I found VERY interesting is the wood frog. It's amazing how they can be unconscious for months and then go back to normal when the winter is over. Scientists have researched and looked for ways that human beings can do that and so far it doesnt seem possible for our species.
I liked this chapter A LOT!! My favorite part was about the frog being able to stay alive while being almost completely frozen. Now if only us humans could do that,we could time travel!!! kinda. This chapter made me feel more appreciative to evolution because it helped our ancestors survive. without it, we probably wouldnt be here. To ibrahim; you spelled oh wrong lol
This chapter was the one I enjoyed the most.
ReplyDeleteDiabetes has become such a huge problem in America and around the world. Today about 171 million individuals suffer from diabetes.
My aunt was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes about seven years ago, so I am pretty familiar with the topic. I am pretty sure that many more people are familiar with it as well so I won't give explanations or specifics about the differences between type I & type II. The chapter is interesting no doubt, there are many facts that I was not familiar with. Is impressive how the human body reacts to environmental danger to protect us, such as the cold that we experience during winter time. Our bodies have natural defenses that help us produce heat.
I was familiar with the fact that we were not able to freeze a human but I didn't know why until now. The reason why the human tissue does not react well to freezing is because the water in our blood freezes and the ice shards cut blood cells and cause capillaries to burst.
Another fun fact, Vodka does not freeze unless it's cool down to probably 20º Fahrenheit.
So far I am astonished by the chapters. Like I said in my previous comment the author gives such great detail.:))
This chapter had me on the edge of my seat and had me completely addicted.
ReplyDeleteMy absolute favorite part was the section about the wood frogs. Honestly the fact that an animal has adpated and evovled itself to the point wehre it can freeze itself is amazing! Another thing i thought was amazing is the fact the frog freezes the same organs we have since some of our organs are similar. Just imagine all the possibilities avaible to us, as the human race if scientist could find a way we can do the same thing.
In response to Sonia's blog:
You are 100% correct when you state the author gives great detail. I'm sure you would agree if that detail wasn't given it would take alot to understand the book. I'm glad you pointed that out, because now I look for details and cotnext clues when I don't understand something. I usaully dont understand because I overlooked something, but now that you commented on that I make sure I seek out and understand the wonderful detailing.
Sonia in your post you said, "Vodka does not freeze unless it's cool down to probably 20º Fahrenheit." I didn't really get that, and had a question. I you were to freeze Vodka, wouldn't it go through 20F before freezing? So what do you mean by cooling it down? Anyways you also have to take in considering what kind of Vodka are you talking about....cheaper Vodka will freeze at a higher temperature then, the more expensive vodka. Just because, of the amounts of ethanol. Ethanol being the main compound in Vodka. But the real interesting question you should ponder is what temperature does 100% Ethanol freeze at.
ReplyDelete-- Hamza Shah
Oh wow I didn’t know all carbohydrates are the source of sugar (glucose) for our bodies. Diabetes….I am sorry for the people who have it….OK…. “Diabetic urine tastes and smells sweet” Who in the world tasted someone’s urine. I’m sorry but that’s just gross, period. I had a question is it possible for a guy to get the third type of diabetes? After reading that only pregnant women can get it…I guess the answer to my question is answered, but still many things are possible when it comes to diseases, especially Diabetes. Another interesting thing I was thinking about is, in the novel it states a way to get diabetes is by lack of exercise, poor eating habits which results to obesity. What is a people does not exercise and has poor eating habits but, has a fast metabolism. Will the obese people and the person with a fast metabolism have the same chance to get diabetes? Interesting question to ponder about.. It’s also interesting how they figured out how often (about) Ice ages occur. The thing that fascinates me a lot is that our bodies are so weird….they change, they adapt to their surroundings which is weird and fascinating at the same time. If out bodies didn’t adapt different types of environments, I am sure the human race wouldn’t exist. Low temperatures caused the pressure in the human body to increase, didn’t know that, interesting. It’s funny how cold affects us, in so many ways. From reading all this I am sure cold and diabetes are related in some sense. I wonder I it is possible to evolve out of diabetes…. For some reason I found this chapter a bit misleading and random, a lot of talk about many different things leading to one things; it was a bit messy.
ReplyDeletePlease let me know if you find anything misleading.
-- Hamza Shah
This chapter is a huge discovery for me.The wood frog made me feel motivated in reading the chapter. Who would have thought that the wood frog are immune to freezing compared to us humans even though we have the same organs? The fact is it pools the water into the abdomen instead of urinating. It also dumps massive amount of glucose, lowering freezing points, making them immune to freezing by means of glucose.
ReplyDeleteAlso,I've learned that grapes are also immune to freezing. They experience water loss due to freezing, increasing their sugar concentration(which is also the reason why the grapes taste abnormally sweet according to the story). Sugar made them immune like the bullfrog's glucose by lowering freezing points which is why they can withstand freezing.
This chapter was very entertaining. I learned a lot, i learned that wood frogs can not frozen however, an human can. Wood frog and humans have the same organs.Also learned that when you shiver, your body is preserving heat. Another reason why this chapter was interesting was because this chapter talks about diabetes and because my dad has diabetes to.
ReplyDeletethis chapter was also good. it told me about the diabetes. it also told me about that there are 2 types of diabetes 1juvenile and the 2for adults. it explained me alot about the diabetes.for example the diabetes donot let the excees of sugar out so the body acts like antifreeze in times of the extreme cold . so thats why the body get cooler when its cold especially to the diabetic people. and i also know the fact that why type1 diabetic people die soon. one of the amazing fact was that the wood frog freezes completely when its cold and recovers when its hot.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this chapter. There are lots of amazing facts in it. There are two types of diabetes, juvenile diabetes and adult-onset diabetes. The first type diagnoses people by confusing thier defense system and making it attack and damage its own pancreas cells that are responsible for insulin reproduction. I knew that sometimes babies are born chubby for some reason but never knew that this happens because of a certain type of diabetes that diagnoses pregnant women.
ReplyDeleteI never thought that climate changes could happen so quickly, the last ice age happened in a decade! I wasnt familiar with the fact that human tissue doesnt react well to freezing because the ice shards, that are produced when the water in our blood freezes, cut blood cells and cause capillaries to burst.
O man it's unbelievable that a deadly desease like diabetes is the reason why most of us, if not all, are alive now. Its also imazing that grapes, wood frogs and humans do the same thing to survive coldness, lose water and have cocentrated amounts of sugar.
Aprox. 171 million people in this world have diabetes, and is expected to double. That's crazy. My mother always tells me not to eat so much junk food or drink sugary drinks like pop though I use to be pop(a)holic?. Anyways, she tells me that she's afraid of me having high cholesterol or diabetes and I did grew to be afraid. There's a few people that I know who have diabetes due to obesity and in some cases one of their legs was cut off. Before reading this chapter, my persception of sugar in our blood was bad. I use to think that preventing diabetes meant having no sugar in our system and I started to ponder the question on how it exactly affected our bodies. I was wrong though; the blood sugars known as glucose is essential to survival. It provides fuel for our brain as well as it manufacture proteins. Is the energy that we need to basically do pretty much evreything on daily basis. Moreover, it's amazing how everything links to pretty much everything; from what we eat to how or why we die and or how climate affects our health. I found very interesting how during the slavery period, owners of slaves did not fed their slaves, and due to the sugar in their system so teir bodies would "feed" or help their bodies to survive. What I found very interesting was the frog that freezes itself during winter but it doesn't releases all its water, yet stores some in the major organs to preserve them. I actually want to work with them and learn more rom it. It was an awesome chapter. I hope that there's more findings soon in the future so transplants may be less risky and more reliable.
ReplyDelete-Marlon Itzep
This chapter was very interesting-yet at times a bit puzzling. I like how positive this book is about diseases and illnesses. Mostly about diabetes, Chapter two made me realize a lot of things. It's like a new window to the world. Even though as many as 171 million people have diabetes today, the disease had helped our ancestors live through ice ages. This chapter looks at the situation in a positive way and as crazy as it sounds, shows the readers why a disease such as diabetes is necessary for the survival of our kind.
ReplyDeleteThe author is VERY detailed and knows how to really pull the reader in. I enjoyed this chapter- A Spoonful Of Sugar Helps The Temperature Go Down.
Another thing I found VERY interesting is the wood frog. It's amazing how they can be unconscious for months and then go back to normal when the winter is over. Scientists have researched and looked for ways that human beings can do that and so far it doesnt seem possible for our species.
I liked this chapter A LOT!! My favorite part was about the frog being able to stay alive while being almost completely frozen. Now if only us humans could do that,we could time travel!!! kinda. This chapter made me feel more appreciative to evolution because it helped our ancestors survive. without it, we probably wouldnt be here. To ibrahim; you spelled oh wrong lol
ReplyDelete