Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chapter 3 The Cholesterol Also Rises

Post your comments about Chapter 3 here.

12 comments:

  1. I always had the urge to go to a tanning salon in a hot summer day, but many people would always remind me about how harmful tanning can be to the human body. I believe that indoor tanning is much safer than lying under the warm sun due the amount of ultraviolent Rays that the human body absorbs. The difference is that tanning salons are able to control the proportions and the intensity of the UV rays unlike the sun. As stated in this chapter tanning is not as bad as some individuals might think.

    The author introduces the reader to the benefits of natural light, in turns out that natural sunlight simultaneously helps our bodies produce vitamin D.

    Vitamin D helps humans grow with strong bones. Tanning helps those who suffer from vitamin D deficiencies. Some doctors prescribe tanning beds three times a week for six months to get their patient’s vitamin D back up to a healthy level.


    There are many facts stated in this remarkable chapter such as;;

    The darker your skin the less ultraviolet light your body absorbs.

    I’ll explain this chapter a bit more.
    Skin color is determined by the amount of melanin. Melanin is a pigment that absorbs light & is also produced by our bodies. Darker hair, colored eyes is determined by the amount of melanin that our body is producing.

    I don’t like wearing sunglasses but this chapter indicates that the individual who is wearing sunglasses during a hot summer day, will get much more sunburn due to the amount of sunlight that reaches the optic nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sonia. The tanning salon does control the amount of UV rays and their intensity. But at the same time people abuse the power and are basically getting the same effect if they were out in the sun.

    The comment Sonia made about the darker your skin the less ultraviolet rays your body absorbs, I believe is the root of the idea people of color DO NOT have to wear sunscreen because they won't get sunburned.

    So since wearing sunglasses makes you more prone to sunburn, is the best idea to protect your eyes is by using a hat or a visor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imani you said, "the root of the idea people of color DO NOT have to wear sunscreen because they won't get sunburned," well unfortunately I don't agree with the "DO NOT." Dark skinned people do get sun burned. Although the chances of them getting sun burned are low. John A. Kenney Jr., M.D., professor of dermatology at Howard University College of Medicine, did some research and figured out the percentage of people getting sun burned despite their color. Here are the statistics ---->

    * Asian/Pacific Islanders had sunburn rates of 18%
    * American Indians and Alaska Natives about 27%
    * Black Hispanics — about 14%
    * Black non-Hispanics — about 5%

    -- Hamza Shah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, never knew sunlight helps our bodies create Vitamin D. That’s just super amazing. My mom always tells me when I go out in the hot summer days, stay away from the sun. Now I guess I can let her know even thought the sun’s rays are bad for our skin, it is also good for us. I guess the statement, every good thing has it’s bad factors is true; Iron, Sugar, and sun. These things are good for us but, to much of them is bad for us. Vitamin D is very important for us, it helps us keep out bones healthy and it also helps us with the nervous system along with the immune system. Without Vitamin D we will be prone to many deadly diseases so it’s crucial for us to create/have Vitamin D within out bodies. Cholesterol is good for us?!?! Now I DID NOT know that. My mom always tells my dad to not eat things with a lot a Cholesterol. But, Cholesterol helps the brain send messages and also protects us from cancers and many other diseases. Since Cholesterol is converted into Vitamin D; that’s simply says that Cholesterol is good for the human body. But, again it has it’s bad parts, unfortunately. That’s just amazingly amazing. Never imagined sunlight could help us in so many ways. Light is the reason to the color of our skin, hair, and eyes….interesting. It’s weird how, when half the Asians have an alcoholic beverage, they experience a very weird redaction. Sounds like adaptation had it’s goofy moments. High blood pressure is much more common in African Americans then in other people around the world. Interesting but, does that also go for the children of those people? Will their children also have high blood pressure? It’s weird that everyone is likely to die for some kind of sickness. Why can’t we just live for ever!?!? This is really getting interesting.

    Please let me know if you find anything misleading.

    -- Hamza Shah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that cholesterol plays an important role in our body. All I know about it before was it makes you fat. Now I know that cholesterol will be converted to vitamin D when your under the sun so the sun isn't just harmful to the skin afterall. I mostly stay at home when it's sunny because I think the UV rays are harmful until the afternoon. I think that converting cholesterol to vitamin D when under the sun is the same as burning your fat when your in the heat. So at winter times, sun provides us less rays than normal so our cholesterol rises during those periods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This wasnt the best chapter but was still very intresting. I didnt know that our body converts cholesterol into vitamin D or that. I also thought it was cool that cholesterol is required to make and keep control of cell membranes. I also learned that if we dont have enough vitamin D hen we can possibly get a diesease called Rickets. Adults can recieve osteoporosis .

    I also agre with hamza, i didnt know much of anything about vitamin D. I allways thought it had something to do with orenge juice lol. But now i know so that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PRESCRIBE UVB TANNING BEDS 3 TIMES A WEEK FOR SIX MONTHS TO PATIENTS!?!?!?!?!?

    see, if i would've heard it like that ^^^ before i read this chapter, i would have reacted like some sort of idiot.

    WELLLLL honestly, i found this chapter a bit boring, but i found some ups about it.

    i thinks its cool how the sun helps our bodies get vitamin D i would have never guessed.
    Along with how tanning beds can actually get your vitamin D back up to were its at a healthy level.

    && i didn't really know the function(s) of folate. So when i figured out that its critical when humans are growing fast. i was shocked because that includes women during pregnancy. && that is said for the baby, because if a pregnant women doesn't have a significant amount of folate, the fetus is at a higher rate of birth defects!

    ^^^^ thats where i actually got confused. See why would doctors be prescribing tanning beds or whatever, when ultraviolet light destroys folic acid in the body? Yeah i mean, i know it says especially during pregnancy, but it doesn't completely rule out other times humans are growing fast! so im confused! HELP?????

    &&&&&& OMGGGGG! SUNGLASSES! MY LOVES! Those help cause the horrible and horrifying sunburns on my FACE! i NEVER knew! i can't believe it. honestly! you might think im a dork. But really my sunglasses? my shades? my "hater blockers?" they help burn me? wow! that is all i have to say.

    i found it pretty fascinating that since Asians with ALDH2*2, which is a genetic variation that causes them to produce a less powerful form of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase((an enzyme that converts avetaldehyde into acetate)), are very likely to resist drinking, because the feeling is distgusting and the look is horrible; doctors are prescribing alcoholics with a drug called Disulfiram, which has almost the same effects on people as ALDH2*2. Therefore, alcoholics being prescribed that drug would be able to resist drinking. Anyone taking the drug would end up with Asian flush and a gross feeling inside.

    So one more thing i need to be cleared. Its not about race or at least our race has some kind of effect on us, but its also about were we live and how we take care of ourselves to right? or no?

    ReplyDelete
  8. this chapter was amazing because i never knewed the facts that our body converts cholestrol into vitamin d when we are under the sun.but the sunlight necessary for this procees is uvb and in winter a very little uvb reaches the earth . since our body is so efficient to make vitamin d as long as we get enough sun rays and have enough cholestrol we can make enough vitamin d. vitamin d is also good for our body it helps our bones grow. i didn't know the fact tht if we put sunglasses on the body doesn,t get the right signal about the sunlight. so it makes you sun burn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im familiar with the fact that sunlight helps our bodies to creat vitamin D but the imazing fact is that our bodies converts cholesterol to vitamin D. The sunlight that is important for this process is the UVB. Cholesterol is also required to make and maintain cell membrances.

    Folate helps to produce red blood cells.

    I was amazed with the fact that we can see the blood vessels in the back of the eyes of an albino because of the lack of pigment in the iris.

    WEARING SUNGLASSES RESULTS MORE SUNBURN!!! I have never ever heard about this.

    ACHOO is a disorder that causes uncontroled sneezing when being exposed to bright light after being in the dark for a while. This disorder helped our ancestors to survive because they lived in caves and the sneezing helped them to get rid of the molds or microbes that got into thier noses. This is sooo crazy, all the diseases and disorders that we are fighting these days, one day they were ways of adaptation to help our ancestors susrvive.

    By the way this chapter was BOOORRRING

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow our bodies makes cholesterol into vitamin D i would have never thought have that if i had not read this book. I found this chapter to be very interesting. I also have a question like i thought cholesterol comes from family so even if you convert it to Vitamin D won't you just get more?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cholesterol is helpful fat? Indeed. I found interesting how the sun helps our bodies to turn cholesterol into vitamin D. Vitamin D is very important for us because it it keeps our bones healthy and it also helps the nervous systme as well as the immune system. The book stated that with outthis type of vitamin we'll be ppron to many deadly disease. Also, I always thought that having a dark skin color was very beneficial to people since it'll protect them from strong sunlight but I guess it has its disadvantages. If one doesn't get enough sunlight rays is impossible for our bodies to produce V-D, and it would lead to high cholesterol and obesity. That's why is recommended to have enough sun lightbut not to much either since it may cause skin cancer.

    -Marlon Itzep

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading this chapter i went to my mom and said "in your face. the sun is good for us!" lol she didnt believe me so i had to explain that the sun gives us vitamin D and without that we wouldnt have good strong bones!

    ReplyDelete