Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chapter 4 Hey Bud Can you do me a Fava?

Place your comments about Chapter 4 here.

12 comments:

  1. I did not enjoy this chapter as much as the previous three, but I managed to get something fun out of it.
    I love peppers……..I enjoy eating anything that would give me that burning sensation all over my tongue...
    I just love spicy food so much: DD
    I previously stated that I took a fun fact out of this chapter. I found out why that feeling of burn stays around for a good while and water won't be able to make it feel any better.
    Well here is why.
    A pepper contains Capsaicin.
    Capsaicin is a sticky poison. The heat of the pepper sticks around for a good while because the stickiness acts to prevent capsaicin from easily dissolving in water.
    Hot pepper can also cause stomach cancer..(Too much hot peppers..: O!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chapter wasn't as exicting or as interesting as the previous three. Actually it was quite boring, making it hard for me to want to continue and keeping my mind from wandering.

    But I did find a couple pf interesting facts. The first one being; evolution doesn't favor genetic traits that will harm us unless those traits help us before they hurt us. So I figured that could be the way evolution works completely. Things we need now, my kill us in our future, sadly.

    Another interesting fact that I found was: plants don't intend to poison us, they intend to posion the herbivores that contsantly eat their roots, instead of their fruits.

    The laast interesting fact I found was: when you eat something hot, water won't help it will just make it worse. To be exact the water will spread the problem. It's best to go chugg some milk or eat some bread because they will absorb the little devils, not spread them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha form reading the posts, it looks as if people don’t like this chapter, it is a bit hard to get through, haha.
    Interesting start by the author for some reason I had to it a couple of times to really get it. It was just a bit odd; the first paragraph. When face beans were first mentioned, that the Fava beans could have killed a “victim.” Was that suppose to tell the readers that Fave beans are poisonous? Or just bad for the liver? Haha, who knew thing s suck as beans could have been used as ballots, I really found that interesting and a bit funny. This is a bit off topic but, when Pythagoras is mentioned is this the same Pythagoras who made the Pythagoreans thorium? A^2+B^2=C^2? Well I’m a big fan of math so it caught my eye. It is also interesting what people think about Fave beans. I guess I can say, people have a wide imagination. Hydrogen Peroxide from beans, didn’t know that was possible….I personally thought Hydrogen Peroxide was made in the lab. I am sure with ought plant chemistry their wouldn’t be plants and then I’m sure there wouldn’t be any living organism. Just because plants are very essential for a lot or the living organisms on earth. I really found the pepper part of the reading very interesting. Wow, Capsaicin can help with the pain caused my shingles?!!? I just had shingles last year, before the summer and if I knew that I could have ate t Capsaicin’s like candy. Shingles, EXTREAMLY PAINFUL. I also know when I eat something hot not to drink water but, to drink something like milk or eat a spongy edible thing. Overall not my favorite chapter, but not bad….

    Please let me know if you find anything misleading.

    -- Hamza Shah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found one cool thing about this chapter. I didn't know that peppers can be poisonous in some ways. A chemical inside the pepper called Capsaicin is a sticky poison that can degenerate neurons which can cause stomach cancer. In short, too much pepper will kill you. I didn't know this fact and I'm glad that I came across to it even though the chapter was boring.

    Also, I didn't know that water will make things worse if you're trying to cool the spicy sensation off your mouth. Milk or eating something with fat will make things better because it helps remove the Capsaicin from the mucous membrane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that this chapter was very intresting excpecially about the fave beans. I liked how it ssaid that a cult named the Orphics believd that the fava plant contained the souls of the dead: they stated ,
    "Eating fava beans and gnawing on the heads of ones parents are one in the same.'

    I thought that was very funny but partly violent. i allways new beans made you fart but didnt know that they could kill you

    ReplyDelete
  6. i didn't like this chapter that much. but i was amazed by the fact that peppers are poisonous.actually peppers contains a poison called capsaicin. capsaicin is a sticky poison which stick on your toungue for a while. and i was also amazed by the fact that water makes it more worse. instead of making it cool . so if you want to make it cool you need to drink milk .and peppers can cause you stomach cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi guys want to tell you that this chapter wasn't the best but also wasn't boring. This chapter was actually pretty interesting. I learned a lot like how to much peppers can be bad for you. The reason that it is bad for you is because the peppers have something inside of them that are called "capsaicin". Also, when you eat spicy food you should drink milk if it is to spicy for you to handle. However, i love spicy food and I eat spicy food and nothing has happen to me yet so I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading this chapter,it was full of interesting facts.

    Well the first thing was that plants are the best chemists ever. One of the plants that atractted my attention is the European clover. If this plant has a bad year, then it would increase the production of formononetin to kill the baby gazers by sterilizing their woul-be parents.

    O and this pretty cool, if you jimson weed then you would go crazy for days and when the poison's influence on your brain i over then you wouldnt remember anything that happened to you.

    I always wondered why doesnt water cool the burn after eating hot peppers. After reading this chapter i figured out that that happens bcause of the stickiness that acts to prevent capsaicin from easily dissolving in water. And eating lots ofhot peppers causes stomach cancer which was the most disappointing fact to me.

    Broccli has anticncer proprties.(I hate it)

    Male moquitoes dont bite. This was a shocking fact for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey bud, can you do me a fava? I find this question awfully funny. Is a phrase/question that I here most of the time; more of the way is said.

    Some of the theories for example, Aristotle believed Pythagorean's broad beans, or known asfva beans, warned us not eat them because they ieher looked like testicles or resemble the gates of hate. I believe his philosophy was a bit bias, as how macho man are man who be with many girls; only girls! Also as no one would eat testicles. In regard to how they "resebleth gates of hell", I believe is more of relious related philosophy. It could be inferred that his philosophy was influence by religion.

    Also, thank you G6DP. G6DP is thought to be present in every cell in the body and is kind of of a bouncer. AS free radicals are molecules or atoms of unpaired electrons and look for other unpaired electrons to pair up with. That's very interesting. It proves once again that everything in this world links or has a connection. The G6DP is a bouncer that basically bounces back the free radicals allowing them to not cause cell's death early. So therefore, if we know more on how to manipulae our bodies to produce mre G6DP, we age less faser? It'll be interesting to study how this mechanism works in further depht.

    Another thing that I found very interesting was how plants have a defense mechanism. Is awesome how they could have a harsh effect on us if we don't learn more of them. Like the pepper; is spicy. I did not know that this spicy-oain I've felt when eating a hot pepper was a sign that in a sense I houln't eat it (: wow, it was actually telling me something. Also, birds could eat hot pepper because their digestive system doesn't destroys the seeds, yet when they poop, they let them out. We destroy them actually, and that's why is spicy for us. I finally found a reasonable answer!

    -Marlon Itzep

    ReplyDelete
  10. At this point I can honestly say I did not like this chapter. At times, I even found myself not being able to focus. However, it DID of course teach and surprise me with a few facts.

    First, thorns are a plant's most powerful defense weapon-against animals of course. They use their thorns to keep animals away-yet sometimes, they need birds or other species to take their fruit so they can spread their seeds and reproduce.

    Second, you can get stomach cancer from too much hot peppers?!

    and third, this chapters mentions that us humans never have a taste-or craving for something bitter to eat. This might just be because we have developed traits and learned that bitter plants are not the best for our health.
    Also, 60% of the world's population depends on plants for medicine..interesting

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with Marlon i love the "hey bud can you do me a fava?" except that before reading this chapter i was reallyyyy looking forward to what the chapter was going to be about. Ans as i read i got more and more bored. But i do agree with Sonia the Pepper things were interesting.
    I love spicy food to i have it everyday. But i needa lay off the peppers. too many could lead to stomach cancer. D= Oh no! i dont want that! =//
    Good thing i did no that milk was the solution to helping my mouth cool down not water =p

    && the fact the hydrogen peroxide is made out of beans was kind of interesting since i always thought it was just made out of some sort of chemicals and not aplant.


    && hamza my dad just had shingles toooooo! like i wish i would've read this book sooner to help him out, but at least i know now what to do now. just in case anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this chapter made me fear peepers because the put poison in our mouths and also they can give us stomach cancer!! i love peppers but enough to get cancer from them. But thanks to this chapter i know how to take the hot sensation peppers give my mouth: with milk. the milk is nonpolar so it takes the mucus from the peppers away

    ReplyDelete