The first five chapters were very interesting but now not so much.
It’s amazing how most of the human brain development takes place after birth the reason being is because is difficult for a mother to give birth to a baby with a big brain ..Kind of gross!
I didn’t like this chapter but it was okay it just talks about babies and human development over time. I did enjoy reading the chapter even though it was a bit boring I managed to get something out of it.
i forgot to mention that the book introduced me to so many facts that I was not familiar with. I ended up with such a good feeling of accomplishment. The author was always clear and he always gave his audience details I loved that. He also wrote a remarkable sentence. “Life after all is a complicated gift.” This quote made me think so much, he also concludes the text with “the miracle of evolution.” Very strong and I agree but we still have a long way to go.
Sonia I believe you found the first five chapter more interesting then the later ones' because, in the later chapter the author started to use more biological terms without explaining them. I myself had to go and Google a lot of the terms, to actually understand what I was trying to understand fully. Yah it's amazing how the brain works, the older you get the weaker it gets. That's why a parent should teach their child what ever they can when he/she is small, believe it or not, it is actually easier for the children. Another interesting thing is when you play PIKA-BOO to the child you actually disappear; when you bring your hands in front your face. It's because the child's brain is still "underproduction." Sorry, that was a bit off topic but, I wanted to share it. Anyways, Haha, come on the chapter wasn't that bad. HAHA.
To sum everything up, this book was very interesting. I apologize for using "Interesting" like a million times, I should have looked at my word choice. Anyways I personally like nonfiction books and that made reading this book even more fun. If any one likes this book, I highly recommend the book How Doctor's Think, it is a great book I am reading at the moment. Books like this make me read more books, so I thank Mr. Hayes for picking such a book.
It was a Pleasure to read this book,
Thank you, -- Hamza shah
*P.S. I will be posting for this chapter myself tomorrow because, I personally really liked it. Sorry i would have posted today but unfortunately time wasn't on my side.
I once saw a show on TLC about a little girl wiht a disorder jst like this but the total oppisite.She would never age and would stay at the natural baby state forever. She was 17 and still the size of a baby and still getting her diaper changed.
I agre with sonia, this book has taught me a whole lot about dieseses and much more. It has showed me the other side of science. I just took this class just to take it but now i want to know more about science and wierd intresting things.
Aw man. I have so much empathy. That its ridiculous. I feel so bad every time i look back and read about Seth Cook.
I enjoyed this chapter a lot really. it was a bit harder to understand but i got through it. It was interesting && just like Hamza said SORRY for using interesting to many times. But i don't know what else to say. I guess i just needed to get my point across plain and simple this book is interesting. haha. =]
Um idk if i should have known this before, but i didn't so anyways. I never knew that the mother of all stem cells, is the single cell that started us off in our mothers! A ZYGOTE! like whattt? i feel so slow for not knowing that.
But thanks to mr. hayes he found such an amazing book and guess what? Now i know and thats what counts. haha =]]]]
Also, i found it interesting how animals with greater risk of being eaten evolve to live shorter lives, because if a species faces significant environmental threats and predators, it's under greater evolutionary pressure to reproduce at an early age; so it evolves to reach adulthood faster. I never thought of it like that, so i never really had an explanation for the life expectancy of animal, etc.
&& Also, like Sonia said its weird how brain development mostly takes place, after birth, because a mother cannot give birth to a baby with a big brain. When you think about it. Yes, it is kind of gross, but its pretty weird and somewhat cool to me. =]
I like how in order for one thing to happen something else has to happen first. lol ok that didn't come out how i expected let me think for a second. hmmmmm? ok! yes, here is the phrase im looking for, "Everything happens for a reason Maybe Dr. Sharon M's grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's because it was meant for him to figure out the connection between Alzheimer's and hemochromatosis. For him to figure out why his grandpa like the feeling of donating blood that way he could discover what hemochromatosis was and that way HE could REALIZE he had it, before it was to late. && maybe Aran Gordon started to hurt during training, so that he wouldn't go doing a marathon so unhealthy and get hurt.
This book has really changed my view points on A LOT of things. I am actually looking forward to this school year in ap bio now. I even appreciate how i get to live life without any of these horrible infections and viruses and diseases, etc. At least that i know of yet. =]
Well, i was honestly going to not do this summer assignment and thats why i waited to the last minute, but i just wanted to take a peek at what everyone was doing and with just one look i got into it and decided i deff need to do this not only for my grade, but because this book is deff going to be good. I was deff RIGHT! I think im going to check this book back into the library and go buy one of my own. =D
I personally enjoyed this book a lot. The reason i enjoyed it was because Dr. Sharon Moalem was so descriptive in his writing, with so many details. Like when i usually read a book i get confused but since he gives lots of details and like more then one way of thinking about it, it made the book "survival of the sickest" really fun and enjoyable. The only question that still buggs me today is, like i know babies have brains that can learn a lot but like how do they understand it, and like if its multi raced how does it know what language it is speaking once it gets older. I'll be looking at this again tomorrow so if anyone has the answer that would be awesome.
Also, i would like to thank Mr. Hayes tremendously for picking this wonderful book for us to read
I highly recommend this book to people taking biology class or just plainly love biology.
This book was one of my favorite books that i have read. Sharon is an excellent writer, that gives lots of details in his writing. I would also like to thank Mr. Hayes for picking this wonderful book for us to read. I learned so much about science and i have a whole new different respect for it. Also i have a question ....
Why is it that babies can learn more than one language at a time but when it starts to speak it how does it know what language is which ?
Man progeria is a horrible disease. People are born with it. it is rare though, it occurs in 1 of every 4 to 8 milion births. It causes rapid aging, hardened arteries and pain in the joints.
In a person who has progeria, lamin A is defective and cells deteriorate much more rapidly.
The cells of eldery people show the same defects that are found in the cells of people who have progeria.
This is so interesting,animals with greater risk of being eaten evolve to live shorter lives because species face significant enviromental threats and predetors, it's under greater evolutionary pressure to reproduce at an early age, so it evolves to reach adulthood faster.
the chilbirth in humans is riskier, longer and seems more painful than it is in any of our genetic cousins because humans have big brains and it is difficult for a big skull to get out of the tight birth canal
I never thought i would enjoy reading the book but i did especially the first 4 or five chapters
What captivated me from this chapter is giving birth and its origins, or theories of how it works. The theory of an aquatic monkey was surprising. I've heard how people an in science class say we have evolved or are related to them. Well, is interesting how walking upright may have been because of an aquatic monkey swimming and in giving birth in water. Also, how giving birth in water makes it easier on woman to give birth than those who do it the regularly. I wish my mother gave birth to me in water. What I was wondering is if since we start breathing till we sense air, and being born in water it doesn't happen, so could we still live for a long period in water, same as we did inside our mothers? of course it'll be different because our mothers produce energy/food to us, but what if we find a way to do this after birth? Can we might/may be aquatic creatures some day? HHHmmm! I wonder....
this chapter was not that good it was kind of boring. i agree with you all . i don't know there is nothing to say, you all said eveything. but overall this book was amazing ,it taught me alot of facts. the author explained every single fact. so it was easier to understand.now i know a lot of things about science.this book was really amazing . i loved it!!!!!!!!!!.
Daniel, I will attempt to answer your question. Well when a child is born, he/she is new to everything. He/She hasn't seen anything like this before. So one can say the baby is excited. Well when one is excited their learning potential is much higher then, a person who is less/not excited. Anyways your question, " how does it know what language is which." A baby doesn't know which language is which. I can tell you don't have any little brothers or sisters. Well maybe you can relate to this. Don't you sometimes see kids who are speaking English and another language together? Well the same concept comes along, to a baby he/she doesn't have the sense of which language is which, to them it's all one. It's not until later in life when they find out, their are many types of language. I hope I answered your question. If something is misleading or confusing please let me know.
The first five chapters were very interesting but now not so much.
ReplyDeleteIt’s amazing how most of the human brain development takes place after birth the reason being is because is difficult for a mother to give birth to a baby with a big brain ..Kind of gross!
I didn’t like this chapter but it was okay it just talks about babies and human development over time. I did enjoy reading the chapter even though it was a bit boring I managed to get something out of it.
i forgot to mention that the book introduced me to so many facts that I was not familiar with. I ended up with such a good feeling of accomplishment. The author was always clear and he always gave his audience details I loved that. He also wrote a remarkable sentence. “Life after all is a complicated gift.” This quote made me think so much, he also concludes the text with “the miracle of evolution.” Very strong and I agree but we still have a long way to go.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Sonia's post,
ReplyDeleteSonia I believe you found the first five chapter more interesting then the later ones' because, in the later chapter the author started to use more biological terms without explaining them. I myself had to go and Google a lot of the terms, to actually understand what I was trying to understand fully. Yah it's amazing how the brain works, the older you get the weaker it gets. That's why a parent should teach their child what ever they can when he/she is small, believe it or not, it is actually easier for the children. Another interesting thing is when you play PIKA-BOO to the child you actually disappear; when you bring your hands in front your face. It's because the child's brain is still "underproduction." Sorry, that was a bit off topic but, I wanted to share it. Anyways, Haha, come on the chapter wasn't that bad. HAHA.
To sum everything up, this book was very interesting. I apologize for using "Interesting" like a million times, I should have looked at my word choice. Anyways I personally like nonfiction books and that made reading this book even more fun. If any one likes this book, I highly recommend the book How Doctor's Think, it is a great book I am reading at the moment. Books like this make me read more books, so I thank Mr. Hayes for picking such a book.
It was a Pleasure to read this book,
Thank you,
-- Hamza shah
*P.S. I will be posting for this chapter myself tomorrow because, I personally really liked it. Sorry i would have posted today but unfortunately time wasn't on my side.
I once saw a show on TLC about a little girl wiht a disorder jst like this but the total oppisite.She would never age and would stay at the natural baby state forever. She was 17 and still the size of a baby and still getting her diaper changed.
ReplyDeleteI agre with sonia, this book has taught me a whole lot about dieseses and much more. It has showed me the other side of science. I just took this class just to take it but now i want to know more about science and wierd intresting things.
Aw man. I have so much empathy. That its ridiculous. I feel so bad every time i look back and read about Seth Cook.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this chapter a lot really. it was a bit harder to understand but i got through it. It was interesting && just like Hamza said SORRY for using interesting to many times. But i don't know what else to say. I guess i just needed to get my point across plain and simple this book is interesting. haha. =]
Um idk if i should have known this before, but i didn't so anyways. I never knew that the mother of all stem cells, is the single cell that started us off in our mothers! A ZYGOTE! like whattt? i feel so slow for not knowing that.
But thanks to mr. hayes he found such an amazing book and guess what? Now i know and thats what counts. haha =]]]]
Also, i found it interesting how animals with greater risk of being eaten evolve to live shorter lives, because if a species faces significant environmental threats and predators, it's under greater evolutionary pressure to reproduce at an early age; so it evolves to reach adulthood faster. I never thought of it like that, so i never really had an explanation for the life expectancy of animal, etc.
&& Also, like Sonia said its weird how brain development mostly takes place, after birth, because a mother cannot give birth to a baby with a big brain. When you think about it. Yes, it is kind of gross, but its pretty weird and somewhat cool to me. =]
I like how in order for one thing to happen something else has to happen first. lol ok that didn't come out how i expected let me think for a second. hmmmmm? ok! yes, here is the phrase im looking for, "Everything happens for a reason Maybe Dr. Sharon M's grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's because it was meant for him to figure out the connection between Alzheimer's and hemochromatosis. For him to figure out why his grandpa like the feeling of donating blood that way he could discover what hemochromatosis was and that way HE could REALIZE he had it, before it was to late. && maybe Aran Gordon started to hurt during training, so that he wouldn't go doing a marathon so unhealthy and get hurt.
This book has really changed my view points on A LOT of things. I am actually looking forward to this school year in ap bio now. I even appreciate how i get to live life without any of these horrible infections and viruses and diseases, etc. At least that i know of yet. =]
Well, i was honestly going to not do this summer assignment and thats why i waited to the last minute, but i just wanted to take a peek at what everyone was doing and with just one look i got into it and decided i deff need to do this not only for my grade, but because this book is deff going to be good. I was deff RIGHT! I think im going to check this book back into the library and go buy one of my own. =D
THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME!!!!
ReplyDeleteI personally enjoyed this book a lot. The reason i enjoyed it was because Dr. Sharon Moalem was so descriptive in his writing, with so many details. Like when i usually read a book i get confused but since he gives lots of details and like more then one way of thinking about it, it made the book "survival of the sickest" really fun and enjoyable. The only question that still buggs me today is, like i know babies have brains that can learn a lot but like how do they understand it, and like if its multi raced how does it know what language it is speaking once it gets older. I'll be looking at this again tomorrow so if anyone has the answer that would be awesome.
Also, i would like to thank Mr. Hayes tremendously for picking this wonderful book for us to read
I highly recommend this book to people taking biology class or just plainly love biology.
This book was one of my favorite books that i have read. Sharon is an excellent writer, that gives lots of details in his writing. I would also like to thank Mr. Hayes for picking this wonderful book for us to read. I learned so much about science and i have a whole new different respect for it. Also i have a question ....
ReplyDeleteWhy is it that babies can learn more than one language at a time but when it starts to speak it how does it know what language is which ?
Hey Daniel,
ReplyDeleteGreat points on the ideas of language acquasition . Let chat about it during class.
Man progeria is a horrible disease. People are born with it. it is rare though, it occurs in 1 of every 4 to 8 milion births. It causes rapid aging, hardened arteries and pain in the joints.
ReplyDeleteIn a person who has progeria, lamin A is defective and cells deteriorate much more rapidly.
The cells of eldery people show the same defects that are found in the cells of people who have progeria.
This is so interesting,animals with greater risk of being eaten evolve to live shorter lives because species face significant enviromental threats and predetors, it's under greater evolutionary pressure to reproduce at an early age, so it evolves to reach adulthood faster.
the chilbirth in humans is riskier, longer and seems more painful than it is in any of our genetic cousins because humans have big brains and it is difficult for a big skull to get out of the tight birth canal
I never thought i would enjoy reading the book but i did especially the first 4 or five chapters
What captivated me from this chapter is giving birth and its origins, or theories of how it works. The theory of an aquatic monkey was surprising. I've heard how people an in science class say we have evolved or are related to them. Well, is interesting how walking upright may have been because of an aquatic monkey swimming and in giving birth in water. Also, how giving birth in water makes it easier on woman to give birth than those who do it the regularly. I wish my mother gave birth to me in water. What I was wondering is if since we start breathing till we sense air, and being born in water it doesn't happen, so could we still live for a long period in water, same as we did inside our mothers? of course it'll be different because our mothers produce energy/food to us, but what if we find a way to do this after birth? Can we might/may be aquatic creatures some day? HHHmmm! I wonder....
ReplyDelete-Marlon Itzep (:
this chapter was not that good it was kind of boring. i agree with you all . i don't know there is nothing to say, you all said eveything. but overall this book was amazing ,it taught me alot of facts. the author explained every single fact. so it was easier to understand.now i know a lot of things about science.this book was really amazing . i loved it!!!!!!!!!!.
ReplyDeleteDaniel, I will attempt to answer your question. Well when a child is born, he/she is new to everything. He/She hasn't seen anything like this before. So one can say the baby is excited. Well when one is excited their learning potential is much higher then, a person who is less/not excited. Anyways your question, " how does it know what language is which." A baby doesn't know which language is which. I can tell you don't have any little brothers or sisters. Well maybe you can relate to this. Don't you sometimes see kids who are speaking English and another language together? Well the same concept comes along, to a baby he/she doesn't have the sense of which language is which, to them it's all one. It's not until later in life when they find out, their are many types of language. I hope I answered your question. If something is misleading or confusing please let me know.
ReplyDelete-- Hamza Shah