Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Introduction

Place your comments about the introduction here.

13 comments:

  1. :O!!shocking!
    The introduction is a better understanding..
    informative and interesting..
    Its amusing how his grandfather loved donating blood, i never met anyone who would enjoy that but he had a reason , it made him feel better.
    i was already able to conclude that i would love the book, the way it was introduced ...amazing!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. the introduction was pretty cool and it was interesting to know about that some people love to give their blood like dr.Moalem's grandfather and it was weird that it made him feel better both emotionally and physicallyuntil iread through the whole paragraph then i knew that he had a disease called hemochromatosis.i was amazed when i knew the fact that it caused iron to build up in the body and make it to the dangerous levels,where it can damage the organs in the body.. i liked it when dr.Moalem never quited to pursue his hunch. the introduction also gave me a good explanation about the natural selection like how we are so healthy till today. the fact that amazed me alot was when he said d.n.a isn't destiny, its a history.so it means that looking at my d.n.a i can know more about my ancestors that cool. i think the introduction has preety cool and amazing facts.i think i will love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it weird at first how Dr. Moalem's grandfather feel better whenever he's donating blood.This made me start reading the book and find out why. I found out that he has a disease called Hemochromatosis which damages organs with too much iron in the body. It isn't a bad thing afterall because donating blood reduces his iron in the body, preventing his Hemochromatosis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting start by by the author; an anecdote about his early childhood and how his grandfather suffered from hermochromatosis. In the novel the author states, giving blood is the best way reduce the iron level in one's body. I found that a bit misleading. Yes giving blood would help you decrease the amount of iron in one's body/blood; but all your doing is refreshing your blood. For example, lets take sugar and water. You take a cup of water and a spoon of sugar and mix them together. Once you do that, you take some of the water which is mixed with the sugar and replace it with normal water. Once you keep doing that, after a number of times, you will come to a point where in the glass with sugar and water there will only be water. Same thing goes with the iron and blood. That's just an instance one can think about.

    "Evolution is what happens when history and change are in rhyme." Interesting line which I pondered about for a bit and came with an interesting question. If change is simply a comparison....can't we just say Evolution is the present being compared to the history?....Just something little I thought of....

    -- Hamza Shah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard or read about Hemochromatosis till now. At first, I thought it was an infectious disease until I read it was a hereditary disease. I have to confess that as I was reading, I got a bit scared; I started asking myself: "what if I have Hemochromatosis?". Fortunately, Hemochromatosis is a very common genetic disorder among decedents from Western Europeans but sadly, more than 30 percent carry these genes. Hemochromatosis is a disease that disrupts the way our body metabolizes iron, so I thought that it had to do with a deficiency of iron since our bodies need iron to be healthy. To my surprise, Hemochromatosis stands for an "iron overload". So basically, a person who suffers of the disease as he/she consumes iron, it builds up in their body/system that eventually, if no treated, it could build up to dangerous levels affecting some major organs like the liver and pancreas. The reason why this happens is because the body is "programmed" like a robot(smiley face) to "think" that regardless of how much iron a person consumes, it doesn't have enough. I was very amazed by this informative facts. Is impressive how iron is helpful as well as harmful. To much of anything is bad. It reminds me of that phrase "good habits could turn into bad habits".

    It was sad how back in the day, this disease was unknown. It shows how the human being has change through evolution. In my perspective, evolution is not only a physical or internal change but also a mental change. As we change throughout the years, we come across many struggles and unfortunately, many of them are illnesses. What I'm trying to say is that evolution has helped mankind to develop not only physically stronger but mentally as well as we test the mind to come up with a solution to each problem we come across with, in the author's case, her grandfather's illness. Doctors couldn't determine what was the cause of Aran Gordon's health problem and she needed answers. She was determined to learn more about this terrible disease that caused her grandfather's death.

    Overall, the reading captured my attention from the very beginning.

    -Marlon Itzep (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. It was surprising how Hemochromatosis "could have some links towards some forms of alzheimer's" (Benito,September 2, 2009).

    -Marlon Itzep :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woow the first paragraph got me so intrested. I like reading about real life and what actuall goes on out there with other people that we dont know about. I cant wait to see what im in store for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! is actually the only thing that i thought, by the end of reading the intro. The intro made me surprise myself! Honestly, I opened it up like blahhh, "just a boring book about science. I got better things to do."

    But then i starting reading and what caught my attention was when he spoke about how his grandfather felt good physically and emotionally after giving blood? like why in the world would that be? Who would feel good giving up so much of what we live on?

    && my questions were answered. HEMOCHROMATOSIS!
    Apparently, our bodies can i guess rust to death? Due to an "iron over-load." && giving up blood makes you feel better. && how he thought that had a connection to Alzheimer's.

    I love how as a "youngster" he was so determined to figure everything out and the fact that he ended up with hemochromatosis like his grandfather is kind of weird and sad but cool at the same time, because it was as if he had a purpose in finding out about everything

    With all that being said, it made me want to read on. && i love how in the last paragraph in the intro it makes the book seem so mysterious.

    When the author says "Somewhere in your genetic code is the tale of every plague, every predator, every parasite, and every planetary upheaval your ancestors managed to survive. And every mutation, every change, that helped them better adapt to their circumstances is written there." it drew me in so much more.

    I am FASCINATED and it is very hard for me to say that, because i have been proved wrong. Science isn't always boring. =D Its actually pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was surprising how Dr. Moalem's grandfather liked to donate blood. It kind of made me feel sick because who in their right mind donates blood to make them feel good. Also, I didn't know that to much iron can be bad for you. Also, I never heard of Hemochromatosis (a serious disease that happens when u have to much iron) until I started reading this book. This also reminds me of a saying that " too much good, ends up being to much bad".

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was surprising how Dr. Moalem's grandfather liked to donate blood. It kind of made me feel sick because who in their right mind donates blood to make them feel good. Also, I didn't know that to much iron can be bad for you. Also, I never heard of Hemochromatosis (a serious disease that happens when u have to much iron) until I started reading this book. This also reminds me of a saying that " too much good, ends up being to much bad".

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was surprising how Dr. Moalem's grandfather liked to donate blood. It kind of made me feel sick because who in their right mind donates blood to make them feel good. Also, I didn't know that to much iron can be bad for you. Also, I never heard of Hemochromatosis (a serious disease that happens when u have to much iron) until I started reading this book. This also reminds me of a saying that " too much good, ends up being to much bad".

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was strange how Dr. Moalem's grandfther felt better after donating blood and it made all his pains go away but after reading more it made sense, his grandfather had Hemochromatosis and donating blood was an easy way to get rid of the extra iron in his body. I knew that having too much iron is bad but I never knew that this type of disorder is genetic and this brings up a question in my mind, are all element disorders in the human body genetic or is it just Hemochromatosis? And wow if someone has too much iron, then some of that iron can get deposited in the skin and that person gets tan all year long(George Hamilton), this is a REALLY interesting fact!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When i first saw the title of this book i thought it would be a story about some killer disease that attacks the world or somthing. But once i began reading and discovered that it was hugely different it kind of interesting. First of all i thought it was very supprising that a 15 year old would go out of his way to do medical research on the reason his grandfather likes to donate blood. Second of all i thought it was pretty weird and interesting that his grandfather actually injoyed donating blood as he did. I thought it might be a psycological thing or something untill i continued reading and found out that he had hemochromoatosis. One thing that shocked me was that the author inherited the desease that his grandfather had. I was not expecting that and it seamed like an M. Night Shamylan twist. The rest of the intro i found quite intresting. i didnt know about the natural selection in evolution and could someone tell me what transposons and retrotransposons are?

    ReplyDelete